Monday, March 13, 2006

Four degrees from Beowulf...

I just realized, after seeing Beowulf and Grendel, that I'm four degrees removed from Gerard Butler. When I was in university, I performed in musicals with Mag Ruffman, who was Aunt Olivia in Road to Avonlea, that also featured Sarah Polley, who's in Beowulf and Grendel with Gerard Butler. Cool!

Sadly, the movie? Not so great. First, I should explain that we had a couple behind us who kept up a continual stream of yakking until we were forced to move. However, it was also very difficult to hear/understand a lot of the dialogue at any time. I've had my hearing tested; it's in the "normal" range, and yet I found myself constantly straining. I've had this problem before. Is it because most movie sound systems are set up for big explosions? Lack of enunciation? Poor sound quality when filming? I mean, why can't I understand what they're saying?

And it probably would have helped if I knew the story going in. But alas, I took Chaucer, not Beowulf, in university. So I was in a sort of "huh?" state for a lot of the movie. Gerard looked good, though.

In writing news, I'm at the stage where I try to write every day, lest I lose my momentum. Despite having (for me) a very busy three days, I managed to do that. Yeah me! :-)

No comments: