Monday, March 05, 2007

Kinda like Scarlett and the corset...


Remember that scene in Gone with the Wind when Mammy was lacing up Scarlett's corset, heaving away on those laces for all she was worth? That's kinda how I'm feeling about the first half of the wip. I'm tightening that baby up for all she's worth. Which is to say, a LOT. Sweet fancy Moses, what the heck was I thinking with some of those scenes?

Well, okay, I know what I was thinking. I wanted to write something to keep the momentum going. Only now, when I read it again? Sloooow.

A couple of things make this cutting and deleting not too painful. One, I know the book will be the better for it. Two, I have lots of pretty markers and I'm using a variety of colors, so it's kinda like coloring (hey, if it makes this process feel like play, I'm going for it). And three, the clocks go ahead this weekend.

Seriously, I want a holiday for that. I'm trying to come up with a suitably celebratory feast. I'm thinking since I'm losing an hour, even though with joy, I should be spared cooking said feast. I think somebody should bring it to my door.

After all, I'll need to rest after all that tightening...

3 comments:

Leah Braemel said...

You're in the editing stage already?! How long did it take you to write your first draft? Boy, do I want to meet you on Saturday if you're at the TRW meeting.

As for tightening your story line, I hate having to chop those favourite scenes of mine because they just aren't advancing the plot but it's gotta be done. :( I share your pain. Have some virtual chocolate ...

Margaret Moore said...

I'm editing the first half of the first draft. This is far, far from the last time I'll be going through these pages, though, and I've already revised a couple of times. I generally do five complete drafts of the entire ms. and many, many more of some parts, particularly the first scene.

The scenes I'm chopping aren't my favs. They're "filler," as I've discovered. If I really like a scene, it's usually doing the several jobs I need a scene to do. If there's a part of a scene I like in an otherwise "filler" scene (bit of dialogue or description, say), I'll save it and see if I can use it elsewhere in the ms.

Make sure you introduce yourself on Sat! I'm looking forward to meeting you, too.

Anonymous said...

I am amazed that you edit yourself so much. I do this odd thing where I stand up and read the book/script aloud, and slash away at that stage. It cuts down on the number of times I edit and some days drives me right to the chocolate and a viewing of North & South to reincarnate my nerves from fidget to fluttering.

I keep reading about these Romance Writer's groups, but what would I do there? Just a thought out loud. Best wishes for Saturday's meet-up!

LW