I've started watching the new show, Heroes, and I love Hiro, a young, slightly plump Japanese fellow who's discovered he can stop time and also teleport. Why? Let me count the ways.
1. He's enthused. Boy, is he enthused! Of all the people discovering he has superpowers, he's the one who's really excited by it. No "Oh, poor me. I'm different. Wah!" from Hiro. He's like "Wow! Cool! This is so neat!"
2. He's cute. Not as in hunky cute, but as in "cute as a bug's ear" cute. I want to give him a hug. And have him home for milk and cookies.
3. He's a Star Trek fan/nerd!
4. He says things like "It is my destiny!" and strikes a pose. Like I said, cute. Also, nerd. Also, keen.
5. He has a sidekick I also enjoy. Watching him realize Hiro wasn't just nutty but could really do what he said he could? Priceless.
6. He's honest. He had to be persuaded to use his powers to cheat in Vegas, and then refused to do it more.
7. At the end of this week's episode, he comes back from the future as Ninja Hiro, with cool sword. Wow -- cute and charming and then carrying a sword and looks like he knows how to use it? As somebody at Television without Pity dubbed him, Hiro the Highlander! Heee!
And whatever happens in the episode, they have got the best "chapter ends" going. Two weeks in a row, my jaw has dropped. Yep, they've hooked me.
Who's lost me? Jericho. Just too unbelievable. Everybody seems way, way too calm to me. Also, they waste their precious resources. Why burn one candle if you've got ten, never mind that you don't know how long it'll be before you can get new ones? That sort of thing just drives me nuts.
Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. Didn't like about any of the characters, and watching a "writer" at work can cause all kinds of teeth clenching.
On the maybe list: The Nine. So far, not bad, but I could get bored if they don't start showing more of what went on in the bank.
Also liking: Ugly Betty and Battlestar Galactica, although Hefty Apollo elicited cries of "NOOOOOOO! in this house the first three times he appeared. And we'd even been warned.
Back and better than ever: The Amazing Race, now with new and improved non-elimination penalty, although Peter is beyond aggravating to watch.
Still enjoying: Survivor, America's Next Top Model and Project Runway
And just so y'all don't think I sit and watch TV all day: Up to page 340 in the work-in-progress. Currently writing the Big Fight Scene. Came up with a new plot twist yesterday. Still hoping to finish the first draft by the end of the week. Go me! :-)