Sunday, January 01, 2006

Casanova a romance hero? Who'd a thunk?

Having seen King Kong and a couple of dramas, I was in the mood for some light-hearted fun, so I tripped off to see Casanova, staring Heath Ledger, who I've always liked since "Ten Things I Hate About You." I was a little leary about it, though. I mean, Casanova has to be the original "man ho," also known as a Duke of Slut in romance parlance. Yet the trailer indicated what seemed a fairly standard romance plot. How in the world could they make a guy like Casanova, not exactly the poster boy for emotional commitment, work as a romance hero? In other words, was I setting myself up for teeth-grinding frustration?

Well, they pulled it off. I'm not going to say how, lest I spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet, but I came away impressed with how they managed to make it work.

No comments: