Saturday, January 21, 2006

What a difference a day makes!

Yesterday, it was incredibly warm for my area for January. I'm talkin' sweatin' in a short-sleeve polo shirt and fleece jacket. This morning, snow. Wacky, wacky, wacky!

I've also discovered, again, that time has a way of making continuity bloopers suddenly appear as if they're highlighted in neon, and despite the gazillion times I've read through a manuscript. Yesterday's question about HERS TO DESIRE that I think I've finally fixed today: What happened to that first kiss? Did the heroine just, like, forget about it? She never refers to it again. Neither does the hero, but he has an excuse. It's hard to believe I missed this rather glaring oversight not once, not twice but probably upwards of thirty times (and if you think I'm exaggerating, no, I am not). This didn't seem to bother my editor, as it wasn't mentioned when we were talking revisions, but it sure bothered me what I realized it, so instead of being able to just add a paragraph or two describing that kiss as requested and then nothing more until about Chapter Ten, Chapters Two, Three, Four and Five have undergone some changes.

In other words, I've already done major revisions on a part of the book that apparently didn't need major revisions. Such is my beleagured editor's lot. If I see a thing that needs fixing, baby, it gets fixed, whether my editor thought it was a problem or not.

Of course, it would be good if I'd noticed this before the mansucript went to New York. Unfortunately, I didn't. I'm glad I noticed it now, though, before we get any farther along in the publishing process.

No comments: