Tuesday, January 17, 2006

And still I wait.....

So here I sit, still waiting to hear if I have to do revisions to my last book, and if I'm good to go on the next one. It's been a month since the last book went in, and since I don't want to start a new book until (a) I've heard about revisions or (b) the synopsis gets the thumbs up, I am in that special writer's limbo known as "waiting." It's kind of like waiting to hear about your last big exam. Not as bad as waiting for medical test results, but no fun, either.

If I have to do revisions, they usually require a fast turnaround, and if they're major, that generally means working literally morning, noon and night, seven days a week, until they're done. Since I don't know if this will happen or not, I'm trying not to schedule anything. I'm also trying to have a life. Can we see a conflict here?

I'm not writing anything. I don't want to get into the new book and have to suddenly drop it to do revisions, or because the editor has found some huge problem in the synopsis. That means the ol' writing muscles start to get a little rusty.

In terms of the last book, the longer it takes for my editor to read it, the more vague the story becomes in my mind. If she had a query or comment about a certain part the week after I sent it in, the story details and the reasons I did what I did would be fresh. I'd be able to answer her quickly, and with assurance. The longer I wait, the more I'm probably going to have to reread the entire ms. before I can answer a question.

I don't get paid until the manuscript is approved, either. It's a good thing I don't depend on my writing income for everyday budgeting.

And finally, the longer the wait goes on, the more stressed I am. I can keep myself busy during the day, but I've started to have nightmares -- every night. They're often about trying to get somewhere on time, and things conspiring against me. Not too hard to figure out what that's about, eh?

I know my editor is a busy woman. I know she has a lot to do and much to read. But I hate being on hold for weeks at a time. If there was one thing I could make an editor really understand, it would be how waiting effects a writer's mind.

No comments: