Friday, February 20, 2009

Weight Loss Challenge - One life to live

So this week, the scale reads 139.0, up a bit from last week, perhaps due to the (whole wheat) spaghetti and (home-made) meatballs and cola and chocolate bar I had last night. What can I say? Survivor means treats.

The Amazing Race also means treats. The Academy Awards used to mean treats, but I doubt I'll watch much this year, except at the end. I don't care who wins. As far as I'm concerned, Slumdog Millionaire is the best movie I've seen in ages. When it comes to acting, I hope the woman from Doubt wins Best Supporting Actress. A small role, but boy, did she make it work! For me, her one scene turned the movie on its head.

So that's two night's a week I tell myself it's okay to have a cola and chocolate. Which means my weight loss might not be going as quickly as it could, but as a co-worker of mine used to say, "One life to live." As long as I'm exercising, I think a treat or two a week is okay.

That said, there's another birthday today, with the cake with the fudgy frosting that my kids love. Fortunately, it's actually too sweet for me (Kids and Hubby: "What? There's no such thing as too sweet!"). Yes, it is. And I'm planning to get something other than carbs for a side when we're at the restaurant.

So it's a bit of a push-pull, but one life to live...

This week's step/treadmill/exercise ball tally:

Feb. 13 - 14,575 steps
Feb. 14 - 45 min. on the treadmill (plus going to a meeting, so more walking than just around the house)
Feb. 15 - 1 hr. on TM, 45 lifts with eball (25 just with the legs, 20 with legs up, pass to hands, then arms over the head and legs down, then pass back to legs, then legs and arms down - this is harder than it sounds)
Feb. 16 - 1 hr. on TM, 45 lifts
Feb. 17 - 1 hr. on TM, 50 lifts (whoo hoo!)
Feb. 18 - 13,006 (I walked home from the subway instead of taking the bus. To be honest, I thought this would be a lot farther than it was!)
Feb. 19 - 1 hr. on TM, 50 lifts

Next week's challenge - I'm thinking I might get out the rowing machine again, just for a change of pace, if my body can take it. There's a good reason I had to give it up - nothing drastic, just kinda painful. We'll see...

1 comment:

Amy Ruttan said...

You have to treat yourself or you'll go Crazay (I say that in my best Manuel from Fawlty Towers voice).

I'm more for carbs than sweets. :)

I broke out the chips for a very cool show about the underground cities of Moscow the other night.