Friday, February 27, 2009

Weight Loss Challenge - another set-back

This isn't exactly a newsflash, but cake is teh evil when you're trying to lose weight. Worse than cake, though, which one may consume as a one-time, special-occasion dessert, are pre-packaged cookies. They taunt me in their jaunty blue package, begging to be eaten. So easy to get out and munch and so good with tea.

The husband has been informed that, from this point on until I reach my goal weight, please, no more cookies. I don't care if they're free and you get a gazillion air miles just for taking them out of the store. I simply have not the will to resist.

And I still want my Thursday cola and sweet treat. It's my weekly reward. This week, I was sorely tempted to forego my Wednesday exercise, until I told myself that if I skipped, I couldn't have my cola and Cadbury mini-eggs during Survivor.

All this is, of course, preamble to the announcement that - alas! - I was 140.4 on the scale this morning. Yep, creeping back up there. I do note, however, that if I'd seen on the scale a year ago? I would have been ecstatic, so it just goes to show how many things are relative.

I also note that, in addition to the cake, cookies and Thursday treats, I didn't do as tough an exercise routine this week. My foot was sore (not sure why) and I didn't want to injure it more, so I spent some time on the rowing machine. That wasn't nearly as hard as the treadmill. I suppose I could adjust the tension, but didn't want to do that when I haven't used it for so long (for the sake of my back).

So I blame the combination of too many treats plus an easier work-out routine for the slight gain. I'm still hoping for to reach my goal of 135 at the end of March, but I must say, at this point, I won't be surprised if I don't. But I'll still have lost over 15 pounds and have the waist measurement below the danger zone.

This week's snow shovelling/treadmill/rowing machine/exercise ball workout tally:
Feb. 20 - snow shovelling, 1 hr. on TM, 50 eball lifts
Feb. 21 - 1 hour on TM*, 50 eball lifts (birthday cake)
Feb. 22 - snow shovelling, plus ice breaking (which makes ya sweat!), 1 hr. on TM, 50 eball lifts
Feb. 23 - 1 hr. on TM, 50 eball lifts (another piece of cake - literally)
Feb. 24 - 1/2 hr. on rowing machine, 12 min. on TM, 50 eball lifts
Feb. 25 - 1/2 hr. on rowing machine, 20 min. on TM, 50 eball lifts*
Feb. 26 - 1 hr. on TM, 60 eball lifts (with much groaning)

*These days I wound up doing the exercising at night, after 7 p.m. Not the best, I don't think, because I was hungry when I finished, so had cereal afterward. I do think it's better if you can cut out the food closer to bedtime. The other food difference this week was a lack of low-cal grapefruit juice, my beverage of choice after a work-out. I had "regular" juice, which has twice the calories.

This week, there will be more cake, but I'm planning to leave the leftovers at our host's place. And I may miss one day of exercise completely. But the shock of the slight gain has, I think, given me the impetus to keep away from the cookies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Major congratulations on the 15 pounds. And with spring just around the corner, it'll be easier to be even more active.

Susanne