Friday, July 25, 2008

I'm on Myspace (kinda)!

Did you know Harlequin Historicals had a Myspace page? Well, they do -- and I've just done an interview there. You don't have to be registered to read it.

In addition to talking about A LOVER'S KISS, I also talk about some of my other favorite books: A WARRIOR'S HEART, THE OVERLORD'S BRIDE and THE WASTREL.

Soooo, who isn't going to the Romance Writers of America national conference next week? Me neither. Therefore, I've decided to do some special blog posts next Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, with temporary links to material on my site not "open" to the general public yet (and maybe never!), for those who aren't in San Francisco hobnobbing, networking and partying hardy.

And just a reminder: If you haven't entered the Mega-Book-Giveaway Contest at the Toronto Romance Writers' site, go now!.





6 comments:

Leah Braemel said...

I'm staying home this year too. *sigh* I can't afford it.

And since most of my friends are going and won't be blogging while they're away, I'm going to be looking for those temporary links to ease that 'net craving' that I get.

robynl said...

thanks for the heads up on the Toronto Romance Writers contest.

I'm not going either, sob sob!!

Margaret Moore said...

So we can have our own little conference here....

Anything you want to ask me abour writing or the writing life? Fire away!

Leah Braemel said...

I've been thinking about your question the last couple of days, Margaret.

Internal conflicts: ones that are unique (I can only come up with so many reasons why h/h wouldn't want a relationship); how to jump the hurdle that's blocking them so it's realistic and doesn't make the reader say, "Yeah, and in three years where will they be?"

Editing or overediting? How do you know when enough is enough?

By the way, I wanted to thank you for your post a while back about synopsis and remember to document the journey of the romance. That came in very timely for me.

Margaret Moore said...

Funny you should ask about conflicts and how they work into the story, Leah! One of my Special Not At the Conference blogs will provide a link to a sample story for my What Lies Beneath workshop, about layers of character and conflict and how characters and conflict work together.

That said, I don't know that there are a LOT of different conflicts -- many of mine are variations of trust issues. It's how that particular conflict affects those particular characters that makes a story unique. How did the characters get that issue? Given their background and the circumstances you've put them in, how does their conflict affect their decisions? What other complications affect them and bring that dilemma to the fore? And finally, yes, the resolution to those conflicts has to make the reader believe that the relationship will last.

As for editing...I'll blog about that one tomorrow. :-)

Kimber Chin said...

Not going to the conference either.
Wasn't planning to
and now I have to get a manuscript
to the editor by August 1st
so I'm REALLY not planning to
(might reward myself by going to Vegas for the weekend though
and look at investment real estate
- prices are cut in half
from their highs)

Looking forward to the conference
away from the conference.