Thursday, April 03, 2008

Signs of Spring and building a book

Although I didn't intend to blog until after I got my proof-reading done, two things:

Spring MUST be here, because last night, when I was going to bed, there was a rabbit on the road! Yes, Mr. Bun-Bun is back. Yeah! (Any rabbit is Mr. Bun-Bun, unless they're small. Then they're Baby Buns.)

And referring to my blog yesterday and the need to think about where my characters are, not just what they're feeling and what they're saying. Once I've decided when and where, the first draft is pretty much just the framing of the set. I put in very little description of specifics. I may mention a piece of furniture, a window, the lighting, the weather, but it's with subsequent drafts that the setting gets more specific.

2 comments:

Cheryl St.John said...

Let me know if you need my big game expertise.

Kimber Chin said...

Margaret,

This line from your site slays me every time I read it...

"Lord Justinian Bromwell, famous naturalist, known as "Buggy" to his friends, seems to have found a woman who's perfect for him. Naturally, there are complications."

Oh, yes, naturally!

I LOVE your sense of humor.