Thursday, July 06, 2006

So now what?

So what does an author when they've just finished a book? Bask in the glow? Get right into the next project? Collapse in an exhausted heap? Go to Tahiti?

Well, in my case, it's sort of all of the above, except for Tahiti (although I live in hope). First, as witness the previous post, my immediate reaction is euphoria. I am happy, happy, happy!

I give myself a few treats. Depending on the time of year, it might be jewellry, but usually it's something smaller. I also kind of collapse in a wilted heap. I don't leap into the next project, because I've got to do some things I've neglected, but I'm certainly thinking about it.

I always clean my office because oh, baby, by the time I'm finished a book, there are a lot of papers, books, post-its, correspondence, files all over the place. I know the basic color of the wood veneer of my desk, but only from memory. (Note: although I have Darlin' Darla to clean my house, I do not subject the poor woman to my office. Plus, she might "tidy" something and I'd lose it for days. Disaster!)

Right now, I'm still in the midst of Project De-Clutter. Yesterday, the kids' blocks got sorted and put in bins with lids. I tackled by old button box and sewing basket. The Lego is back in the bins, sorted and bagged. I've started on the rec room shelves, and the laundry room cupboards. I also have my office cupboards partly done. When we had the basement redone (thank you, Harlequin!), I had the builder put in LOTS of cupboards. Thing is, you can shove a lot of stuff in there and then forget about it, so I'm working on clearing out some of that. I tell ya, bin and box manufacturers are going to show a profit this year, judging by where some of my money's been going lately.

I've had the special delight of answering a reader letter for my Young Adult historical romance, GWYNETH AND THE THIEF. There's nothing like connecting with younger readers! I hope she's still at the same address, because it took over a year for this letter to reach me. Fingers crossed!

I've updated my website. Reviews are starting to come in for HERS TO DESIRE, and so far, they're wonderful. When you're already feeling euphoric? This is one tremendous feeling. I particularly like the one that mentions the "romantic chemistry". Whoo hoo!

I've got some gardening still to do, and some paperwork, but I hope to get started on Bayard's story soon. For one thing, I already love the guy and I'm anxious to get him together with Gillian, who is not going to be happy when he arrives bearing important news.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Adore your site a lot. Pls link mine www.brainport.co.nr also leave comments thanksLike