Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Fixing misconceptions

As I was wandering around Blogland the other day, it became apparent that some folks believe I wrote for Harlequin, left to write for Avon, then came back to Harlequin. Let me correct that. I was still writing for Harlequin Historicals while I was writing for Avon.

My first Avon book, A SCOUNDREL'S KISS, (set in Restoration England) was released in March, 1999. My last book for Avon, KISS ME AGAIN, (set in the Regency) was released in January, 2004. Between those two releases, here is the list of books I had out, their publishers, date of release and setting.

A ROGUE'S EMBRACE,, Avon, February 2000 (Restoration England)

A WARRIOR'S KISS, Harlequin Historical, March 2000 (medieval)

THE DUKE'S DESIRE, Harlequin Historical, September 2000 (Regency England)

HIS FORBIDDEN KISS, Avon, March 2001 (Restoration England)

THE OVERLORD'S BRIDE, Harlequin Historical, May 2001 (medieval)

THE MAIDEN AND HER KNIGHT, Avon, October 2001 (medieval)

TEMPT ME WITH KISSES, Avon, April 2002 (medieval)

GWYNETH AND THE THIEF, Avon True Romance, July 2002 (medieval -- a Young Adult novel)

A WARRIOR'S LADY, Harlequin Historical, September 2002 (medieval)

ALL MY DESIRE, Avon, October 2002 (medieval)

KISS ME QUICK, Avon, May 2003 (Regency)

IN THE KING'S SERVICE, Harlequin Historical, October 2003 (medieval)

My first HQN book was BRIDE OF LOCHBARR, out in August, 2004. So I was, in fact, writing for two publishers concurrently.

Another misconeption seems to be that I've only ever written medievals. Nope. In fact, and apart from the time periods of the books listed above, my second book,CHINA BLOSSOM, was set in Victorian England, with a heroine who'd been raised as a slave in China (!!). I've written three other books set in Victorian England (THE WASTREL, THE DARK DUKE, and THE ROGUE'S RETURN). I've written two books set in the Dark Ages (THE VIKING and THE SAXON). I've even written a book set in 19th century Massachusetts, VOWS. While I was writing those books, I was also writing my Warrior series of medievals for Harlequin Historicals (14 books in all). So while the majority of my books have been medievals, I like to try new things and new time periods.

Apparently some people also consider my efforts "hit or miss."

Well, okay. As long as I want to try new things and new time periods -- and I do -- I think that's the price I have to pay. Although I hate to think I'm disappointing readers at any time, it's a price I'm willing to pay to keep the work fresh, interesting and exciting, at least to me.

I also note, though, that it's a price I can afford to pay. For one thing, Harlequin's foreign sales means I'm much less dependent on the North American market. For another, writing is not the sole source of my family's income. And the kids' braces are off, their university tuition covered. Otherwise, right now I'd probably be writing nothing but Regencies featuring strong, silent heroes, and probably with less joy than I approach my current projects.

No comments: