Tuesday, November 29, 2005

What a rush!

After watching what has to be the most boring episode of The Amazing Race ever (and I can't believe I'm typing "boring" and "Amazing Race" in the same sentence), my daughter and I watched the last episode of the BBC adaptation of "North and South" by Elizabeth Gaskell. It's a set in Victorian England and oh, my, oh my!!!!!! It was wonderful.

My daughter's watched the adaptation of Elizabeth Gaskell's "Wives and Daughters" nearly as many times as the BBC adaptation of "Pride and Prejudice." However, she remains miffed that there's no kiss at the conclusion of "Wives and Daughters" so we were worried about that possibility with "North and South." But lo, our fears were groundless, because hoooo baby! Serious kissing goin' on! (I have a slight problem accepting a couple kissing in public in a Victorian drama, but I'm willing to suspend my disbelief if the rest of the show's good.)

We've also got a new fella for the Hierarchy of Hotties, Richard Armitage. He had the brooding thing, BUT -- and this had my jaw dropping -- he can frown and smile at the same time! A sort of "I'm worried and yet also amused" expression. Wow!

And then there was the bit where the heroine is driving off in the carriage and he says, "Look back. Look back at me." It is to swoooooon.....

We were just beside ourselves, frankly. On the edge of our seat. We giggled, we fretted, we squealed like tweens sighting Orlando Bloom, we cheered, we sighed.
In short, we had a fantastic time watching this. And I'm quite sure it won't be the last.

No comments: