Wednesday, November 09, 2005

A good day to work at home...

This is one of those days when I'm glad I work at home. It's rainy, it's windy, it's chilly, it's...November. This is also one of those days when people envy the people who work at home, no doubt imagining us puttering around and working in our jammies.

I may do my share of puttering (generally either doing laundry or making tea), but I don't work in my jammies. Just doesn't feel right.

There's also a real downside to working at home -- it can be lonely. I can, if the weather's bad and there's no pressing need to run errands, be in my house for days at a time. In the dead of winter, this isn't so bad. But the rest of the year? Not so great.

I miss the comaraderie of an office, even though it's been over twenty years since I worked in an office. I wish I could go on a coffee break with someone, or a lunch. A lot of women who've been home with small children will know exactly what I'm talking about. You want some conversation.

But then comes a day like today, and it's such a relief not to have to struggle in the wind and rain.

Like most jobs, mine has its good sides and its bad sides. Working at home is an example of both.

No comments: