Wednesday, January 03, 2007

My Hard Work Paid Off!

I heard from my long-suffering, most patient of editors today and yippee! My revisions aren't just done, they are "well done."

Let me say that again. YIPPEEEEEEE!!! So THE NOTORIOUS KNIGHT can now take his notorious self to the copy editor.

To celebrate, while out running necessary errands (the car handle broke off -- how weird is that?), I decided to splurge on some slip covers (buy one, get the second for half price...I succumbed). I won't be getting them on the chairs, loveseat and sofa until later, as I've got several handouts for my workshops on January 13 to finish, but I did get one on during my lunchbreak and it's basically HUGE, so now I'm torn about whether to keep them or take them back. I'll have to get a second opinion. Possibly a third.

Once I've done the handouts and the slipcovers and yet again tackled Mount Laundry (this is, you see, a theme in my life...the never-ending laundry), it will be Friday and I should hear from my editor about the next book (specifically, if I'm good to go).

Now, I've written a lot of books -- forty-two novels and novellas, to be precise -- so you might think that by now, I have no worries when it comes to starting another one.

That is where you would be wrong.

It's like starting to climb another mountain, clutching a rather flimsy, possibly unreliable map, accompanied by a guide of dubious repute. He took me astray last time -- I could have fallen to my doom!

On the other hand, I've met this hero before. And he's Irish, which is new and fun for me. I've been gossiping about the heroine through two books already, so it's time I quite spreading rumors and actually let the poor woman speak - although she'd chew me out if I referred to her as a "poor woman" in her self-confident presence. I've also encountered the villain, reptile that he is, before, and he's gonna be interesting. So there's that to lighten the load.

But I've still got to write 400 pages based on a fifteen page synopsis. That's never a walk in the park, although I certainly hope there will be some good times along the way.

2 comments:

MJFredrick said...

Congratulations on the revisions, and good luck with the new book!

Vicky said...

Congratulations on your revisions!!! It was must be so exciting. I know you've written a lot of books but it's still must feel great! I'll be attending that meeting on Saturday at TRW. I'm really looking forward to it and I'm dragging my sister with me - she's my partner in crime! :) So I'll see you then.

Vicky.