Friday, October 14, 2005

One of those weeks...

This has been one of those weeks where I have a lot on the go, while also trying to, you know, write, since I am a writer. I've managed to keep up somewhat, but there's been a lot of other things happening.

For instance, Monday was a holiday, so everybody was home and we visited family. No writing done, but I hadn't planned any.

Tuesday, my son discovered a problem with his university courses, and since he hopes to graduate next spring, this was a Major Crisis. Or so it seemed. Fortunately, he was able to come up with a solution, and all is well, but I think we both aged a year or two, and I lost some writing time. Still got ten pages done. Must have been the adrenelin pumping through the maternal veins.

Wednesday is Darla Day -- the cleaning lady comes. I love having a cleaning lady. If I earn money for anything other than tuition, it's to have somebody do the cleaning. However, that means some tidying before she comes, and it's a little tough to work when somebody's vacuuming. Of course, it would tougher to work if I was doing the vacuuming. That day I also wound up doing a lot of PR stuff; that's "work" but it's not writing. That night, I had the delightful experience of attending a ceremony at my daughter's collage, to see her get an award. I'm an alumna of the same college. Mind you, there are a lot more buildings there than when I attended. I felt like saying, "And in my day, that was a cow pasture..." (It wasn't really, but there was lot more "open" space.) Norman Jewison (the movie director) is a chancellor, so he was there. We actually have another "degree" of association with him. My brother married his daughter. Not as in became her husband -- he performed the ceremony.

Thursday, I wound up doing more PR and revising my website, as I do weekly. I also got a much-needed haircut. I didn't get to my writing until after dinner, but again I wrote ten pages, and still managed to get to see The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman on PBS.

So far today, I've done a little more PR, revised what I wrote yesterday, and am ready to start a new chapter, which I hope to get to after I color my daughter's hair, as per our agreement (she does mine, I do hers). Later, I'm going out to Toronto Romance Writers function.

Tomorrow's TRW meeting features a panel of agents and editors, and that should be very interesting. Will I get any writing done? Hard to say.

Do I get upset when I can't to my writing every day? No, although it does bother me a bit when I'm in the first draft stage, as I am right now. I fear losing momentum. However, sometimes it just isn't possible to write every day, so I don't beat myself up about it. I know it's only a short break and I'll get back to it as soon as I can.

A "professional" writer, whether published or not, always gets back to the writing as soon as possible. The wannabe can always find excuses not to.

No comments: