Sunday, August 21, 2005

What, I can't do laundry? Oh, hap-- gosh, what a shame...

Well, technically, I am able to do laundry. The machine is fully functional, but we've got two kitties currently using the laundry room as a dorm until they meet the Dowager Cat and are allowed all over the house. But alas! Crisis looms in the clean clothes department. So while my daughter rides herd on "the boys," I'm sorting, etc.

When I'm writing, the laundry can be either a nuisance or a good excuse for a break. It depends if it's a "good" writing day -- dialogue flowing, words a-pumpin', or a "bad" writing day, when it seems getting out a single word requires massive creative effort. If it's a bad writing day, having to move a load from the washer to the dryer seems like a ton o' fun instead of a nuisance. If the writing's going really well, that load'll just sit in the washer until later. I once left wet clothes in the washer for two days, but that's an extreme case, and of course, I wasn't chained to my computer the whole time. I just got busy, then forgot about it completely.

Ah, this author's glamorous life....

No comments: