Saturday, August 27, 2005

Snip, snip here, snip, snip there....

Ah well, I've done it again. Added too much backstory to my first chapters, that is. So now I'm going back and doing a little trimming. Not that I "throw out" any of this, though. I put it in separate documents on the computer, with names like "C and M discuss R," which translates into "Constance and Merrick discuss Ranulf." That's a bit where two secondary characters (formerly a hero and heroine in their own book) talk about the hero of the new book.

Why get rid of it? Well, for one thing, Constance and Merrick have already had their own book, thank you very much, so they shouldn't really be front and center in a scene in Ranulf's story. For another, they're just talking -- not exactly dynamic. And while there's important information about Ranulf here, it would be better if Ranulf himself reveals this, and later on, as a means to deepen the relationship between Ranulf and his heroine, Beatrice. And by delaying, I'm adding some narrative tension. This is a bit of a tightrope, though -- if you don't give the readers enough information, it's a turn-off. Too much, and you lose suspense. I'm revising with that balancing act in mind before I proceed.

RE TV: Rome -- how I wish we could see this. I was seriously tempted to subscribe to specialty cable to get this, but I watch enough TV as it is. I'll just have to wait until it's on "regular" TV, or get the DVD. It has to be better than Empire, which was, I think, the worst thing I've ever seen. Seriously. Don't get me started on the history, or lack thereof, unless you want to see steam pouring out of my ears.

And in Kitty News: Luis the Knave apparently thinks getting in the back of the recliner sofa (aka TV Central) and gnawing on the fabric is fun. The Count, meanwhile, has got to have the most innocent, "Who, me?" look going. When he's caught doing something he shouldn't, he just looks at you with those big innocent kitty eyes... I've decided they have to go back to their "dorm" when it's time for me to write; they are simply too distracting. The Dowager continues to take sanctuary when they're out and about, but no cat fights yet (here's hoping!).

No comments: