Tuesday, August 30, 2005

More cover art -- and I like it!

Today I received my author copies of my next release, THE UNWILLING BRIDE, pictured to the right. Inside that cover is another depiction of the hero and heroine, and I really like it!

I finished rereading THE WOLF AND THE DOVE by Kathleen Woodiwiss. I was flabbergasted to realize how short and vague the love scenes were. No body parts described there, let me tell ya. Yet I remembered this as an extremely sexy book...and so it is, in an "old school" kind of way. Lots of sensuality, short on details -- and I like it!

However, there were a couple of things that did make me cringe. It's a real "bodice-ripper," in that the heroine literally gets her clothes ripped off, and more than once. But what troubled me most was that the heroine's body is, at times, apparently completely divorced from her mind. Her body reacts to the hero's passion even though she believes she hates him. I think the case could be made that by the time he does touch her, she's learned enough about him to not detest him, but this mind/body dichotomy disturbs me nonetheless. I don't think one's sexual response can be so separate from one's thoughts, nor should it depicted that way in fiction, either. That's too far from realistic for me.

No comments: