Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Happy Canada Day, eh?

Happy Canada Day to all my fellow Canucks!

And to those of you who are not Canadian, allow me to clarify a few things.

Should you ever decide to write Canadian-flavored dialogue (if you're writing Canadian, it would "flavoured"), "eh?" is used at the end of a sentence and while it generally has an interrogative inflection, it indicates an observation inviting agreement, not a question to be discussed.

We do not say "oot" for "out" and "aboot" for "about." We do, however, say, "Moo-er," not "more," when referring to someone with the last name of Moore.

If you're ever strapped for a subject of conversation, begin with the weather. We often do. Especially in winter.

By the way, we do not live in igloos. Or have snow in summer, except perhaps in the very far north. In my neck of the woods (which is a suburb of a city), we get 90 degree heat with 100% humidity in the summer.

Not every Canadian, no matter how long their family has been in the country (in my case, about 150 years) has made love in a canoe. Or wanted to.

But believe you me, I'm still Canadian. And very proud to be.

3 comments:

Leah Braemel said...

I keep trying to figure out how you'd make love in a canoe anyway. Those danged seats get in the way. Oooh, okay, I just figured out one way, but it's sure not romantic, LOL.

Happy Canada Day, Margaret.

Leah (whose US critique partners insist she DOES say aboot. But I emphatically deny it.)

Cheryl St.John said...

Happy Canada Day.

Ovvet at copyblogger they say you Canadians are nice. I have to agree.
http://www.copyblogger.com/

Pam P said...

Happy Canada Day, Margaret!