Monday, April 20, 2009

Signs of Spring

I went on a long walk Saturday afternoon. It's been a long while since I've had the time to do that, and it was warm, so I enjoyed not just the exercise, but the signs of spring.





I start my walk at the top of the bluffs by the lake, then go down along the lakeshore and up at a different place at the end.








Part of the journey to the shore involves a zig-zagging path with one of the more unusual railings. It comes up to about my knee, so not exactly useful if I start to slip. (Yes, that's my foot.)















This is the path along the shore.








The shore path was built in an attempt to stem the erosion of the bluffs. Unfortunately, since they're made of sand and exposed, there isn't a lot that can be done, as you can see by this picture. At one point, a landslide had totally blocked the path. It's since been cleared.

What this doesn't convey is the sound - there must have been at least a hundred red-winged blackbirds there, as well as other birds.

It was a lovely way to spend an afternoon, even if the sun wasn't shining.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Amy Ruttan said...

Ooh think you got some spam there.

I love the bluffs.

I'm so glad spring is here. Except today it's raining and cold and blech.