Tuesday, September 02, 2008

A Bittersweet Day for Mom



For the first time in twenty years, I don't have any kids starting school today.

I remember when we first moved to this house. My son was two, and I was expecting my daughter. Our house is beside a lane to the local public school, and every winter, the kids from the school would walk to the local rink for skating. We would watch the kids go past the house and I would think about when he would be starting the great adventure known as "school."

And now, after an excellent academic career, he's graduated university and working in his chosen profession.

Same with Daughter, who graduated at the top of her high school class and was on the Dean's List every year of university. She's now happily working at her chosen career.

So many times when my kids were little I'd hear, "It goes by so fast." At the time, I confess there were days it seemed like a very slow crawl.

But now?

It goes by so fast.

2 comments:

Amy Ruttan said...

I know what you mean.

My eldest only started SK, but still ... I know what you mean.

Margaret Moore said...

Kindergarten, they're still spending more time with you than at school, so I was fine with that. Grade One, though... That was another bittersweet day.