Monday, May 28, 2007

Know any Young Adult readers?

The summer is here! Or at least it feels like it, weather-wise.

I used to spend a good portion of the summer holidays with my nose in a book. My particular favorites were Trixie Belden books. Nancy Drew seemed too "old fashioned" (or maybe just plain too old) to me.

My parents, bless their hearts, never questioned my preference. They never suggested I go outside and play, or find "something better" to do. Nope, if I wanted to read, I could read. So I did.

This is how writers are made.

So in honor of summer and summer reading, I've giving away a dozen copies of my one and only Young Adult historical romance, GWYNETH AND THE THIEF. If you'd like an autographed copy, email me at margaretmoorebooks@yahoo.com with "Gywneth" in the subject line.

And bring on the cookies and lemonade!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I read every Trixie Belden book out there when I was a kid. I loved her stories so much! I never did read Nancy Drew...

Margaret Moore said...

I had a crush on Jim Frayne, too. Sort a bad boy, but not. Sigh.... :-)

Leah Braemel said...

I think I read one Nancy Drew. But I don't think I read any typical 'kids' books. My mother taught me to read at age three to give me something to do (and got into trouble with the teachers when I started school because they thought I'd be bored) So my parents never questioned my preference for books, in fact they encouraged it. And when I finally told my mother the other day that I was seriously trying to get published, she sighed and said she'd always wanted to be an author. I never knew that! But she's definitely where I got my love of reading.

Anonymous said...

Trixie rules! The thinking girl's Nancy Drew.

I foolishly offloaded a lot of my kid books when I was a teenager (what the HECK was I thinking) but recently re-obtained the first 6 Trixies (pre-syndication) for a serious nostalgia glut. They hold up so well.

The couple in my second romance (nope, not published) are Trixie and Regan at heart. With cats instead of horses.

Margaret Moore said...

Ohhh, now there's an idea! I always thought Regan was kinda sexy. Didn't he and Honey's governess have a thing? That was my take, anyway!

MJFredrick said...

I loved Trixie, too! My collection fell apart, so I've been rebuilding it the past couple of years. I hope to reread some of them this summer!

Cheryl St.John said...

I LOVED Trixie! There was always the possibility that she'd get the guy. heh heh

have you seen the promo for the Nancy Drew movie? I'm going to have to catch that one.

Margaret Moore said...

I'm torn about the Nancy Drew movie. It looks like they've made Nancy a nerd. I never got that impression. Didn't she drive some kind of snazzy sports car back in the day?