Tuesday, September 20, 2005

When good ideas turn out to be bad. Terribly, terribly bad....

I've discovered shows about "flipping" houses -- people buy a run-down property, fix it up and hope to sell it at a (preferably amazing and immense) profit, all in a relatively short period of time. These people always underestimate how long it's going to take to do the renovations, and how much they'll cost. I confess much of the time, I'm left feeling rather smug -- don't you know any home reno is going to take more time and money than you think? Haven't you read articles about that sort of thing?

Well, no more will I sit there sipping my C2 in the comfort of my living room passing judgement. Because I just did the same thing, albeit not with a home reno. I decided that I would save time and money by preparing advanced reading copies for reviewers myself. No need to rush off to a copy shop and have to go back for a pick-up. No, I, Super Writer, would do it myself. Maybe I saved some money, but the copying proved to be way more time consuming than I imagined. I've been holed up in my office for *three days*. Seems my dear old printer/copies/scanner/fax can only handle so much before it gets hot and makes the pages stick together. And since I, to save postage, decided to do the pages double-sided, that means I have to sit and watch the pages feed at certain points.

On the other hand, the time I took a large printing job of a similar nature to a copy shop, I discovered that they'd missed several pages -- after I'd mailed the copies. At least, or so I've been telling myself, I know *that* won't happen.

But let me just add, ARRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH.

No comments: