Friday, September 10, 2010

Reimagining a Classic

I often bemoan the fact that Hollywood seems to be relying on sequels or remakes or re-working of classic stories. Can we have something original, please?

But then, along comes something that blows my theory out of the water, and it sounds like there's going to be a theory-destroyer on TV this week - a reimagining of Sherlock Holmes, set in the 21st century. I learned about it through the local TV critic's column. (Read it here.) You can bet I'm going to be watching tonight.

And while I'm mentioning the critic, whose name is John Doyle, let me just add that his columns are wonderful - entertaining, informative, often tons of fun, but also serious when the occasion requires. I've often thought that if I had a child who was just starting to have to write essays, I'd suggest they read his columns, because often, that's what they are.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Darn. I've checked, and I won't be able to see it. Our satellite (I hate to admit it, but I had to look up the correct spelling)system doesn't carry that station. I think I saw a mention that it would also be on PBS Mystery later on, so I will try to remenber to keep an eye out for it.

I still can't see how they cast Basil Rathbone as Holmes. He was such a wonderful swashbucking villain.

Rosemary