Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Techno-trauma

There I was, working away, and all of a sudden, my work starts scrolling at a furious pace and disappearing. You know that face the kid makes when he splashes on the aftershave in Home Alone? That was my expression exactly as I desperately tried to make it stop. I couldn't.

I don't know what I did to cause that. I probably hit the wrong key, but darned if I know which one or what sequence caused that to happen. Fortunately, I was able to just go to "undo" and undo.

Also fortunately, what I lost was the unrevised portion of the chapter. Still, it was traumatic watching my words disappear with such speed and not knowing how to make it stop.

This would be why I always make a separate directory for each draft and save my work each night, or whenever I stop for the day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. That sounds almost as exciting as the time when my son somehow erased the hard drive on our old computer. As in totally, completely erased every program.

Thank goodness that I had the recovery discs, and was able to reload the softwae that came with the computer, and was able to find our Quicken and Professional File (an old DOS filing program that I just love) discs also.

It taught me a valuable lesson, however. I was only backing stuuf up on Quicken when it prompted. After having to redo more than three months worth of the checkbook, I now back up much more frequently, usually at least once a week.

I'm glad you didn't lose too much, though.

Rosemary

Leona said...

Holy cow, I've seen that happen!! My heart was racing frantically and you reminded me that I have to back my stuff up today!! Thank you!!!!

Lydia said...

Hi Margaret, nice blog & good post. You have beautifully maintained it, you must try this website which really helps to increase your traffic. hope u have a wonderful day & awaiting for more new post. Keep Blogging!