Monday, February 18, 2008

Keeping it fresh

Having written a fair number of historical romances, I get asked from time to time if I've ever considered writing something else. Paranormals, say, or contemporary romances. What about a straight historical novel? Or a mystery?
I've certainly thought about it, but here's the thing: I can get a set-up for a contemporary, but then the story fizzles out. Paranormals don't float my boat, and while I enjoy a mystery element in my books, I can't see having that the focus of the plot. Or having less than two lead characters.

So, for me, for now (because I've learned never say never in this business), it's still historical romances all the way.

Don't I get bored? Don't I worry about telling the same story over and over?

Nope. Because every story has different and unique characters, with different histories, families and friends. There can be different social and political issues to deal with, too. Sometimes I change the time period as well, but it's the characters who make each story interesting and unique for me.

3 comments:

Kimber Chin said...

Good. I think you do a brilliant job at historicals, something few authors pull off.

I got push back on my domain name (businessromance.com though I do own kimberchin.com also) because what if I decide to do other genres?

Not bloody likely. I love reading historicals but my brain thinks contemporary and frankly, I'm business to my toes. If I couldn't write about the business world, I wouldn't write. Period. No interest in other settings.

Margaret Moore said...

Focus is a good thing. :-) I think one of the dilemmas new writers have is simply trying to decide what they really want to write.

Kimber Chin said...

My biggest issue is not genre focus, it is tone.

My first book to be published (Breach Of Trust) is Harlequin Romance-style, my second (Invisible) is a very angry romance (because I was very angry at the time), my novella following is lighter (was in a great mood), etc. The tone switches with every manuscript based on my mood.

It will be challenging to build a readership when they won't know what type of read to expect.

How do you keep your own emotions out of your writing?