Tuesday, January 15, 2008

First Chapter Shuffle

Waaaay back in July, I wrote the first scene for THE WARLORD'S BRIDE, but then there was a change of plans and I wound up writing A LOVER'S KISS next instead. Now that I've finished A LOVER'S KISS, it's back to THE WARLORD'S BRIDE, the sequel to my book out now, KNAVE'S HONOR.

I'm thinking, "How nice that I have a first scene written, so it's not quite so daunting."

Yes, no matter how many books I write and even if the book's a sequel, it's still daunting to be starting on Page One, Chapter One again. Perhaps even moreso now that I'm so very well aware of how much work it's going to take to write and revise an entire book.

However, in the interim, it's also occurred to me that I might be better to start with the heroine and her POV than the hero, since the heroine is the continuing character from KNAVE'S HONOR. The scene already written is from the hero's POV. No problem, thinks I. I'll just use that for the second scene.

Can you guess where I'm going here?

Because, yes, this morning, I wound up ditching the original opening scene entirely. It now resides in the "Cut" file. Oh, well. That's the way it goes sometimes -- write and replace, until it feels "right." So far, the new opening feels right.

So far....

2 comments:

Donna said...

How Ever in the world do you even begin!! lol I've always wanted to write but the voices of other people who writealways makes me feel it's hopeless for anyone new to the territory...I Love the cats! lol

Margaret Moore said...

But we were all new once, so don't be intimidated. Publishers are always looking for new writers and fresh voices. Why not yours?