Thursday, December 22, 2005

Ye Olde Sudoku

Yep, I have really got to the call my next book Ye Olde Sudoku, especially if it comes out any time near Christmas. Of the 150 books listed on the USA Today bestseller list for last week, ten were sudoku puzzle books. I know gift books are big this time of year, but ten? What's ironic (to me, anyway) is that this sort of puzzle has been in puzzle books/magazines put out by companies like Dell for years. I know because such puzzles are my husband's idea of a good time. He tried to explain sudoku to me, and I ran away screaming. Well, not literally -- but I did cover my ears. Doing arithmetic is not my idea of fun.

I was thrilled to see THE HORSE AND HIS BOY by C.S. Lewis on the list. That's my favorite Narnia story, probably because it was the first one I ever read, and also because it's a YA romance. And here, among other reasons, is why I think it's a romance: "Aravis also had many quarrels (and, I'm afraid, even fights) with Cor, but they always made it up again: so that years later, when they were grown up, they were so used to quarrelling and making it up again that they got married so as to go on doing it more conveniently." Heheheheeee! (I suppose, at this time of year, it should be ho, ho, ho!)

No comments: