Friday, December 16, 2005

And then came the snow....

So I do my Big Shop. I'm in the mall from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m., with one half-hour sit-down to have lunch with my daughter who works in said mall. The last trip to the car, with the big square box and nine three-inch thick candles, one five-inch thick candle and two pillar candles, just about does me in. Meanwhile, as I'm shopping away, the snow begins. It's lookin' bad as I head out of the mall, only to discover that the street lights aren't working on my exit street.

Sweeeeellll....

I navaigate the two left turns onto another street and discover that there's road work being done. In a blizzard. Obviously, this is a serious problem, but it also means that the six lane road is down to one lane each way. I could have walked faster along that stretch.

By the time I get home, I'm pooped. My feet hurt, my elbows are killing me. As far as I'm concerned, I'm done. The hubby (aka He Who Falls Into A Coma Three Feet Into A Mall) can do the rest. It's mostly gift cards and stocking stuffers from here on in.

This morning, I wake up dreading a lot more snow because the news guys were all freaking out and forecasting disaster and instead I found...not much more than when I got home yesterday. I went out to shovel, as I actually don't mind shoveling snow, and discovered it was the heavy stuff (aka "packing snow"). Great for snowmen, but for shoveling? Not so much. By nine a.m. I'd had quite the workout.

I've still got my office to clean and some writing to do. What? You think just because I sent a book in this week, I'm on vacation? Not if I want to keep writing, I'm not. What this point in the schedule does mean, though, is that I can work at a more leisurely pace and not feel guilty when we go out to a movie later. It'll probably be King Kong -- which is good, because otherwise, I might fall asleep.

Now off to clean the office! And later, no rowing for this cookie. Like I said, I've had my workout for the day.

No comments: