Friday, July 03, 2015

FREE Novella - Chapter Five, Part Four


KIND EYES AND A LION’S HEART

CHAPTER FIVE
PART FOUR

“I’m beginning to think you’ve lost your her mind, Viola,” Sylvia said as she sat on the stool by the dressing table in Viola’s chamber, facing her friend.  Viola, dressed in her shift and bedrobe, her hair long and unbound, sat on her bed.   
“Sir Melvin is a fool if ever there was one,” Sylvia went on, tapping the dressing table with her finger for emphasis.  “All he wanted to talk about was my hair or my gown.  What the fabric was and how it was made, and did I like having a long braid and wasn’t it a nuisance sometimes?  He sounded like a dressmaker or a maidservant or a gossipy old woman, not a nobleman!”
“He does talk a lot, but he’s the most genial, kind-hearted young man I’ve ever met,” Viola replied.
“I suppose he might be, if one could stand to be near him long enough to find out.”  Sylvia traced a pattern on the tabletop.  “I think Lord Barengar was upset you weren’t in the hall.”
“I’m sure there were plenty of other ladies happy to talk and dance with him.  Did you?”
Sylvia blushed.  “Once.  He’s a very good dancer.”
Viola frowned.  “That may be, but I doubt he’d be a very good husband.”
Sylvia rose abruptly.  “Perhaps not for you, Viola, but he is a lord and rich, too, so--”  
          Someone pounded on the door.  “My lady, come quick!” a voice cried in a loud whisper. 
          Viola gasped.  It was Alphonse, Sir Melvin’s squire.
She drew her bedrobe about her and ran to open the door.

Chapter Six starts on July 6.

This work is protected by copyright.  See sidebar for notice.

Note:  This novella is PG13.  With the exception of GWYNETH AND THE THIEF and THE WASTREL, my books are usually steamier. 


No comments: