Tuesday, July 20, 2010

My Latest Craft Project

I finally took my good ol' Singer "Genie" sewing machine in to be repaired. It's done yeoman's service since I received it as a wedding present from my parents lo, these thirty-plus years ago. However, the bobbin winder broke, so I was hand-winding the bobbins which, believe me, is no treat. I did investigate getting a new machine. The only stitches I use, however, are a straight stitch, zig-zag and the stitch for knits and stretch fabrics, so I didn't need most of the bells and whistles that come with new machines. And the simpler, cheaper versions didn't seem heavy-duty enough to last very long. So I looked, and found, a place that would repair my Genie. It cost about as much as a cheaper new machine, but I'm very happy I did that. I now have a very good, lightweight but substantial, sewing machine that works like buttah. And it's even got a new bulb. (True story: the young lady at the shop said, "And we'll give you a new light bulb." Me: "There's a light?" Yep, it's been burned out so long, I forgot it existed.)

The store that did the repairs also sews quilting fabric. On my first visit, to drop off my machine, I noticed this panel of fabric:

It's by Michael Miller Fabrics, and the pattern is called Transportation. I didn't buy it then, but I kept thinking how neat and retro it was, and I thought it might make cute cushions for the cottage. So when I went back to pick up my machine, I bought the panel.

Then, score! I found cushions for less than $2 each at Ikea and my local fabric store was having a sale and I got wide red twill for about $4 a meter. I thought of going with the blue, but it's not exactly a navy, so went with the red instead.

And voila! I've got cushions! Here is the first one:

Won't this look swell on the child's rocker I found at the antique store?
I'm using the small blocks of vehicles in groups of four, banded by red twill, for one cushion, too.

I just love it when I take a gamble on a project and it turns out great! Mind you, like my writing, I had to make a few revisions before I figured out exactly what to do and what measurements to use. But that's the way I roll.


Anonymous said...

Hi. I still need to take on my Singer 401a Slant-O-Matic (circa 1954)to be fixed. I don't sew very much, but I also use zig-zag, and the spring that holds the needle arm comes off, and then you have to take the top of the machine and put it back with pliers. I'm sure that if it was put together properly, it wouldn't come off.

Also, my Singer 328 (circa 1965) also needs to be fixed. I was using it to hem some pants for my son when something snapped and went flying. The moter goes, but the flywheel doesn't turn, so the needle won't move.

The pillows are cute. Actually, the fabric company may use the original or reproduction plates, because I seem to recall seeing similar fabric in an antique/vintage store years ago.

I still haven't gotten a chance to look for the lastest book. I am hoping to go to a bookstore sometime this week. Today, I'm taking Ilka to the dog park for some training, and then maybe the pet supply store. It's too hot to have her sit in the car while I go into a store to look for a book.


Leona said...

Nice! I love the cushions. I use a few more stitches than that cuz I make costumes, but not much. I got a brother machine a few years back. Now, it only costs like 160 or 180 something like that, and it will cost 100 to fix. I'm going to do it anyway, cuz I love my machine! It's the second "new" machine I've had and the first one that I've really enjoyed using. It's easy to use and the manual actually makes sense to us lay people.

Margaret Moore said...

Glad you like my cushions as much as I do. It cost me about $125 to get my machine fixed, but it was worth every penny.

I used to make Hallowe'en costumes for my kids when they were little. (nostalgic sigh)