Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Easter Projects

In addition to trying to finish the first draft of my next book (nearly there!), I've been doing some Easter sewing for my two...well, I hate the term "great-nieces," so I'm going with grand-nieces.

I'm finding it a bit tricky to locate what I consider suitable "little girl" fabrics, so for C.T., who's almost three, I went with the classic pink gingham. C.T. is also into handbags, so I made her a little drawstring purse, too, using the template taught to me in Grade Seven Home-Ec (back in the days when they had home economics). I used Simplicity pattern #5226. Since the gingham is fairly light, I decided to line it. I don't even know if you can buy slips for little girls anymore, but decided to err on the side of caution.

For Second Grand-niece, I went with a pattern I've used many, many times and have had for many, many years, Butterick 6903. How many years? I made a few dresses for Daughter with this pattern. Daughter just turned 25. I found this ladybug fabric by chance, and bought it with no specific project in mind. The skirt of the dress is rather full, so it was a tight fit on one meter, but I managed.


In other sewing-related news, we found this sewing machine in my mother-in-law's basement. Isn't it a beauty? It has all the original attachments, and the instruction booklet dated 1926. So this was made when my dad was a one year old.






And just look at the detail on the side plate. It also had a light attached, so I suspect it was a top-of-the-line model.

It's now on display in the living room.

5 comments:

Amy Ruttan said...

I is jealous of your mad skillz. ;-)

So beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Hi. You are way more ambitious than I am. The dresses are lovely. So is the sewing machine. Does it work? And did you know there is a website with Singer serial numbers that can tell you what year and usually at what plant is was made? I don't remember the exact web address, but just google "singer serial numbers" and you should be able to find it. That is how I found out how old my machines are.

Both of my machines need to be fixed. My 401a that I got from my mother won't do all the zig-zag stitches (I can't even get the adjustment knob to move) and has a spring that keeps coming off. The 328 that I fished out of a trash pile last year sewed beautifully until something suddenly snapped and flew off. Now the moter goes, but the flywheel doen't turn, and the machine won't move.

What I am doing now is gardening, in a small way. I have three differnt heirloom tomato plants in a hanging planter, three pepper plants in hanging planters, and scallions and carrots in regular planters. Also some marigolds, geraniums, and petunias, and a pot of grass for the cats. I still need to plant the herb planter. I saw a reproduction Victory Garden sign in one of the gardening catalogs, and am thinking about getting one to hang over my little plot.

Just as a laugh about sewing, I made my wedding outfit, a white satin suit. I finally got the skirt hemmed and ironed about an hour before the ceremony, but to this day, it has a safety pin intead of a hook and eye at the waistband.

Rosemary

Margaret Moore said...

Thanks for the compliments! Sewing for little girls is so much fun, because the clothes are so cute!

I did do some research on the machine, and it was made in the New Jersey factory. I haven't tried it yet, although given that I have to hand-wind the bobbins for my Genie since the machine won't anymore, I may soon! I should probably see about getting the good ol' Genie repaired. It's done very well for 30 years!

Caroline said...

Lovely dresses Margaret - you are clever - I can't sew a straight line - lol. Caroline x

Leona said...

Way cute! I miss sewing my girl little dresses. She's turned 18 and now she's interested in beautiful dresses again! But they are complicated and expensive so will take some time.

Your Singer is absolutely, stunningly, beautiful. Good find :D