Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Prepping for Painters

I decided it was time to get some painting done. My daughter's room hasn't been redecorated since she was about eight. She's now in her twenties, so...yes, about time.

I took down the wallpaper (not difficult, just needed a lot of water), and discovered minute cracks where every seam of the wallpaper had been. The walls are plaster, not drywall, and the drying paper had pulled the previous layers of paint apart. That means the cracks aren't in the plaster itself, but still - that's too much repair work for me, so it wwas time to call a pro.

I've gotten my estimates and am going for the most expensive guy. Why? I've discovered over the years that more often than not, you do get what you pay for, and he seemed the one prepared to do the most thorough prep. As far as I'm concerned, a good paint job is about 85% in the preparation.

That also means, though, that I've been scrubbing walls (to remove the last of the paste) and since we decided to get the bathroom done, too, taking down more paper and scrubbing more walls. And here I bet you thought romance writing meant a life of excitement and glamor!

Not that there isn't excitement. I'm looking forward to seeing HIGHLAND HEIRESS in stores soon.

No comments: