Monday, August 04, 2014

Seven "Take-aways" from the Romance Writers of America Conference

Seven things I learned or discovered or re-discovered when I attended the Romance Writers of American national conference:

1.  Any time there's more than one romance author in a room, there will be a sharing of information.  Romance authors are a generous bunch.

2.  You never know when you might find a networking opportunity.  I asked a woman waiting for a cab to the airport if she wanted to share.  She agreed -- and turned out to be an executive editor at a major publishing house.

3.  Editors are really reluctant to give a definitive "no" when somebody asks if they're looking for a particular type of story. 

4.  Harlequin has the best publisher swag.  Okay, so I'm biased -- it's still true.  Their tote bags are great.



5.  There will always be changes in publishing.  The best I can do is do what I do and keep calm about everything else.

5. I cannot wear heels anymore.  Also, hotel lighting makes me look like a cast member of The Walking Dead.

7.  When I see old friends, it doesn't matter how many years have passed since I've been in their company.  It will seem like none.








No comments: