Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Insert, delete, insert, delete...

There are many, many things a writer can obsess about, but I have finally stopped worrying about whether or not my manuscript is going to be long enough. My first draft may very well be short, but I shouldn't panic because I will find many, many places that need, as I so helpfully note in the margins, "more." With every book, the manuscript expands, then contracts, then expands and contracts...kind of like I'm playing a squeezebox.

I have learned I can cut out whole scenes, and the book will not be too short. And not only can I, it's vital that I cut out anything that slows the pace. I will always find other places to add "more" that won't bring the story to a screeching halt.

I don't worry if my first draft is too long, either. My record is, I believe, 440 pages. This is about 40 pages too long. But that was fine, because it meant I had too many scenes doing the same jobs, so I combined some, and others just got cut entirely.

So now that's one thing I've stopped worrying about. But alas, there are plenty more!
___________________________________________________________
In TV news, you can bet your booties I will be clued to the TV for Survivor: Fiji tonight. That was a glorious tribal council last week -- it made up for my extreme dismay over the ouster of Michelle. Here's hoping for an Earl, Yau Man and Cassandra final three!
___________________________________________________________
P.S. Notice something different? I've changed my template because I've got a new book coming out in June -- THE NOTORIOUS KNIGHT. Unfortunately, I shouldn't do such things when my sleep has been disrupted. I lost all my links, so I had to redo them this morning. But that's okay -- I streamlined them while I was at it.

I also updated my website's homepage this week in anticipation of the release of THE NOTORIOUS KNIGHT, the sequel to MY LORD'S DESIRE.

No comments: