Thursday, September 14, 2006

Updating my website


I design and maintain my own website, after my son helped me set up my first (free) site back in the olden days.

It's a control thing, really. There's so much an author can't control in this business; this is one thing I can. I like being able to update it frequently, and in fact, one of the first things my son (now a Computer Science graduate and software developer) told me was, "Update everything, update often." Now, updating everything is a little beyond my scope and time, but updating often -- as in at least once a week -- I can do.

For instance, recently I discovered that Amazon already has a page up for my next book, so you can pre-order it. I got that link on my website ASAP.

This week, I added information about my appearances at Toronto's annual book and magazine festival, The Word on the Street. If you're going to be in the Toronto area on Sept. 24, I'll be signing and giving away copies of several of my out-of-print books at the Toronto Romance Writers' booth from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., and signing copies of HERS TO DESIRE at the Harlequin booth from 1 - 2 p.m..

Yes, maintaining my own site takes time from writing, but it's also creative in a different way. And I really like being able to get new information up in a timely manner, so I'm not stressing about seeing it posted. Creativity and control -- what's not to love about that?

No comments: